16 November 2006

Baby Boomers ... INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Not only am I way behind on my personal projects, all of a sudden, two out of three of my closest girl friends are pregnant at 35 and 38 respectively. They are first-time mums and obviously that calls for baby quilts!

I have had the material for one baby's quilt for years now, always waiting for mum to get knocked up ('scuse me!). So that's sorted. Mercifully, it's the first to arrive.

But with baby two, I'm stumped. She's a trained chef, though no longer working in that field, he's a hockey coach. I cannot make anything too complicated for lack of time! And I have zero idea! Any and all ideas are welcome!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of cooking inspired fabrics available - or realistic foods. (I have seen vegetable prints mixed with a solid-ish brown so it looked like an abstract garden.) Like wise there are a lot of sports themed fabrics too.

Unknown said...

mmm that's a tricky one - could you maybe do a snowball/nine patch one as hockey balls are white - combine that with a foodie type fabric maybe or a black and white check like chefs trousers?

Kucki68 said...

How about "themed" fabrics in a four patch with unis?

Susan (ZenKnit) said...

I just purchased a copy of Bundles of Fun: Quilts From Fat Quarters, by Karen Snyder. All fat quarter quilts, easy and great ideas. I don't think there are any inside pages photos on Amazon.com, so if you want me to scan some let me know and I will help you out.

Anonymous said...

I might have a solution for you... I read this post and remembered that I made a baby blanket a year ago by quilting together some fun fabric with a nice thick wool plaid. Anything thick enough would work or you could use two cottons and sandwich some batting between them. I just quilted them together with with a ever so slight zig-zag stitch, folded the corners over and did a border with mitered corners. Anyway, it seems like you could come up with some kind of simple variation. I hand stitched the border, but you could hold everything down with a zig-zag, or us bias binding around it. If you pick fun fabric, it won't matter that it isn't pieced (at least that is my opinion.) Anyway, good luck. Here is a
link to my project if you are interested. Sorry I didn't take more pictures.

Carol E. said...

Pick a nice star block that you like and just make it really big. One big star, and you're done. They make cute baby quilts.